Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A distinguished European artist of the period from about 1500 to the early 1700s, especially one of the great painters of this period.
2. A work created by one of these artists.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Art Terms) one of the great European painters of the period 1500 to 1800
2. (Art Terms) a painting by one of these
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. an eminent artist of an earlier period, esp. the 15th to 18th centuries.
2. a work by such an artist.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||old master - a great European painter prior to 19th century|
painter - an artist who paints
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
old mastern (artist) grande pittore europeo del periodo compreso tra il 16° e il 19° secolo; (painting) → dipinto (di un grande pittore europeo dal 16° al 19° secolo)
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995