Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to oleoresin: Oleoresin capsicum
1. A naturally occurring mixture of essential oils and a resin, extracted from various plants such as pines and balsam fir.
2. A substance prepared by solvent extraction of a spice or herb and used in flavoring and coloring foods.
1. (Elements & Compounds) a semisolid mixture of a resin and essential oil, obtained from certain plants
2. (Elements & Compounds) pharmacol a liquid preparation of resins and oils, obtained by extraction from plants
o•le•o•res•in(ˌoʊ li oʊˈrɛz ən)
1. a natural mixture of an essential oil and a resin, as found in certain plants.
2. a prepared mixture of an oil and a resin in solution.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||oleoresin - a naturally occurring mixture of a resin and an essential oil; obtained from certain plants|
ladanum, labdanum - a soft blackish-brown resinous exudate from various rockroses used in perfumes especially as a fixative
natural resin - a plant exudate
balsam - any of various fragrant oleoresins used in medicines and perfumes
Canada balsam - yellow transparent exudate of the balsam fir; used as a transparent cement in optical devices (especially in microscopy) and as a mounting medium
gum labdanum, labdanum - a dark brown to greenish oleoresin that has a fragrant odor and is used as a fixative in perfumes; obtained as a juice from certain rockroses
oleoresin capiscum - an oleoresin extracted from the capsicum pepper plant