Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Eating food of any kind, including animals and plants.
2. Taking in everything available, as with the mind: an omnivorous reader.
[From Latin omnivorus : omni-, omni- + -vorus, -vorous.]
1. (Zoology) eating food of both animal and vegetable origin, or any type of food indiscriminately
2. taking in or assimilating everything, esp with the mind
[C17: from Latin omnivorus all-devouring, from omni- + vorāre to eat greedily]
om•niv•o•rous(ɒmˈnɪv ər əs)
1. feeding on both animals and plants.
2. eating all kinds of foods indiscriminately.
3. taking in everything, as with the mind: an omnivorous reader.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||omnivorous - feeding on both plants and animals|
carnivorous - (used of plants as well as animals) feeding on animals; "carnivorous plants are capable of trapping and digesting small animals especially insects"
herbivorous - feeding only on plants
insectivorous - (of animals and plants) feeding on insects
omnivorous[ɒmˈnɪvərəs] adj → omnivore
omnivorous[ɒmˈnɪv/ərəs] adj → onnivoro/a
a. omnívoro-a, que come alimentos de origen vegetal y animal.