Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Of, relating to, or explaining a name or names.
2. Of or relating to onomastics.
[French onomastique, from Greek onomastikos, from onomazein, to name, from onoma, name; see nō̆-men- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Linguistics) of or relating to proper names
2. (Law) law denoting a signature in a different handwriting from that of the document to which it is attached
[C17: from Greek onomastikos, from onomazein to name, from onoma name]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
on•o•mas•tic(ˌɒn əˈmæs tɪk)
1. of or pertaining to proper names.
2. of or pertaining to onomastics.
3. (of a signature) not in the same hand as the document to which it is appended.
[1600–10; < Greek onomastikós, derivative of onomázein to name, derivative of ónoma name]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||onomastic - of or related to onomastics; "he published a collection of his onomastic essays"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
onomastic[ˌɒnəʊˈmæstɪk] ADJ → onomástico
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005