Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to onshore: Onshore Wind
1. Moving or directed toward the shore: an onshore wind.
2. Located on the shore: an onshore beacon; an onshore patrol.
Toward the shore: The wind shifted onshore.
1. (Nautical Terms) towards the land: an onshore gale.
2. on land; not at sea
on•shore(ˈɒnˈʃɔr, -ˈʃoʊr, ˈɔn-)
1. onto or in the direction of the shore from a body of water.
2. on land, esp. within the area adjoining a port; ashore.adj.
3. moving or proceeding toward shore or onto land from a body of water: an onshore breeze.
4. located on or close to the shore.
5. done or taking place on land.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||onshore - (of winds) coming from the sea toward the land; "an inshore breeze"; "an onshore gale"; "sheltered from seaward winds"|
|2.||onshore - on the edge of the land; "an onshore lighthouse"|
terrestrial - operating or living or growing on land
|Adv.||1.||onshore - on or toward the land; "they were living onshore"|
offshore - away from shore; away from land; "cruising three miles offshore"