Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Idioms, Wikipedia.
Related to open house: Open table
1. A social event in which hospitality is extended to all.
2. An occasion when a school or institution is open for visiting and observation by the public.
a. A period of time during which a house or apartment for sale or rent is held open for public viewing.
b. A house or apartment open for such viewing.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. US and Canadian an occasion on which an institution, such as a school, is open for inspection by the public. Also called (in Britain and certain other countries): open day or at-home
2. keep open house to be always ready to provide hospitality
3. US and NZ a house available for inspection by prospective buyers
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a party or reception during which a person's home is open to visitors.
2. a time during which a school, institution, etc., is open to the public, as for exhibition.
3. a house or apartment for sale or rent that is available for inspection by prospective clients.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.