Also found in: Idioms, Wikipedia.
1. The period during which it is legal to hunt or catch certain game or fish.
2. Informal A time of unrestrained activity, often criticism or harassment: It's been open season on bankers since the credit crisis began.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Shooting) a specified period of time in the year when it is legal to hunt or kill game or fish protected at other times by law
2. (Angling) a specified period of time in the year when it is legal to hunt or kill game or fish protected at other times by law
3. (often foll by on) a time when criticism or mistreatment is common: open season on women employees.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
a specific season when it is legal to catch or hunt for fish or game protected at all other times by the law.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.