Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to operant: Operant learning
1. Operating to produce effects; effective.
2. Psychology Of, relating to, or being a response that occurs spontaneously and is identified by its reinforcing or inhibiting effects.
1. One that operates.
2. Psychology An element of operant behavior.
[Latin operāns, operant-, present participle of operārī, to work; see operate.]
producing effects; operating
1. a person or thing that operates
2. (Psychology) psychol any response by an organism that is not directly caused by a stimulus
op•er•ant(ˈɒp ər ənt)
1. operating; producing effects.n.
2. a person or thing that operates.
[1595–1605; < Late Latin]