Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to opposable: Opposable thumbs
1. Possible to oppose or resist.
2. Capable of moving opposite to and touching one or more other digits of the same hand or foot in a way that allows grasping: The thumb is an opposable digit.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. capable of being opposed
2. (Anatomy) Also: apposable (of the thumb of primates, esp man) capable of being moved into a position facing the other digits so as to be able to touch the ends of each
3. capable of being placed opposite something else
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
op•pos•a•ble(əˈpoʊ zə bəl)
1. capable of being opposed or resisted.
2. able to be placed against something else: the opposable thumb of primates.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.