opposable(redirected from opposably)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. Possible to oppose or resist.
2. Capable of moving opposite to and touching one or more other digits of the same hand or foot in a way that allows grasping: The thumb is an opposable digit.
1. capable of being opposed
2. (Anatomy) Also: apposable (of the thumb of primates, esp man) capable of being moved into a position facing the other digits so as to be able to touch the ends of each
3. capable of being placed opposite something else
op•pos•a•ble(əˈpoʊ zə bəl)
1. capable of being opposed or resisted.
2. able to be placed against something else: the opposable thumb of primates.