vestibule(redirected from oralvestibule)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to oralvestibule: oral cavity proper
1. A small entrance hall or passage between the outer door and the interior of a house or building.
2. An enclosed area at the end of a passenger car on a railroad train.
3. Anatomy A body cavity, chamber, or channel that leads to or is an entrance to another body cavity: the vestibule of the inner ear.
1. a small entrance hall or anteroom; lobby
2. (Anatomy) any small bodily cavity or space at the entrance to a passage or canal
[C17: from Latin vestibulum]
n., v. -buled, -bul•ing. n.
1. a passage, hall, or antechamber between the outer door and the interior parts of a house or building.
2. an enclosed entrance at the end of a railroad passenger car.
3. any hollow part in the body serving as an approach to another hollow part, esp. the front part of the inner ear leading to the cochlea.v.t.
4. to provide with a vestibule.
[1615–25; < Latin vestibulum forecourt, entrance]
ves•tib•u•lar (vɛˈstɪb yə lər) adj.
A space before a passage begins, as in the inner ear beyond the oval window, between the semicircular ducts and cochlea.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||vestibule - a large entrance or reception room or area|
building, edifice - a structure that has a roof and walls and stands more or less permanently in one place; "there was a three-story building on the corner"; "it was an imposing edifice"
narthex - a vestibule leading to the nave of a church
room - an area within a building enclosed by walls and floor and ceiling; "the rooms were very small but they had a nice view"
|2.||vestibule - any of various bodily cavities leading to another cavity (as of the ear or vagina)|
vestibule of the ear - the central cavity of the bony labyrinth of the ear
vestibule of the vagina - the space between the labia minora containing the orifice of the urethra
vestibule[ˈvestɪbjuːl] N (frm) → vestíbulo m
vestibule[ˈvɛstɪbjuːl] n → vestibule m
n. vestíbulo, cavidad que da acceso a un conducto.