Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. The act or process of organizing: The organization of the photos did not take long.
b. The state or manner of being organized: The organization of the files could be improved.
c. A manner of accomplishing something in an orderly or efficient way: Your project was hampered by your lack of organization.
a. A group of persons organized for a particular purpose; an association or business.
b. The administrative personnel of such a structure: contacted the organization with his complaint.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. the act of organizing or the state of being organized
2. an organized structure or whole
3. a business or administrative concern united and constructed for a particular end
4. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) a body of administrative officials, as of a political party, a government department, etc
5. order or system; method
ˌorganiˈzational, ˌorganiˈsational adj
ˌorganiˈzationally, ˌorganiˈsationally adv
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
or•gan•i•za•tion(ˌɔr gə nəˈzeɪ ʃən)
1. the act or process of organizing.
2. the state or manner of being organized.
3. something that is organized.
4. organic structure; composition.
5. a group of persons organized for some end or work; association.
6. the administrative personnel or apparatus of a business.
7. the functionaries of a political party along with the offices, committees, etc., that they fill.adj.
8. of or pertaining to an organization.
9. conforming completely to the standards, rules, or demands of an organization, esp. that of one's employer: an organization man.
[1375–1425; late Middle English organizacion < Medieval Latin organizātiō=organizā(re) to organize + Latin -tiō -tion]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||organization - a group of people who work together|
social group - people sharing some social relation
adhocracy - an organization with little or no structure; "the choice between bureaucracy and adhocracy represents a common dilemma"; "the need for informational flexibility can lead to adhocracy"
affiliate - a subsidiary or subordinate organization that is affiliated with another organization; "network affiliates"
bureaucracy - any organization in which action is obstructed by insistence on unnecessary procedures and red tape
NGO, nongovernmental organization - an organization that is not part of the local or state or federal government
Tammany, Tammany Hall, Tammany Society - a political organization within the Democratic Party in New York City (late 1800's and early 1900's) seeking political control by corruption and bossism
fiefdom - an organization that is controlled by a dominant person or group
line of defence, line of defense - any organization whose responsibility it is to defend against something; "police are the major line of defense against crime"
line organisation, line organization - the organizational structure of activities contributing directly to the organization's output
association - a formal organization of people or groups of people; "he joined the Modern Language Association"
polity - a politically organized unit
quango, quasi-NGO - a quasi nongovernmental organization; an organization that is financed by the government yet acts independently of the government
enterprise - an organization created for business ventures; "a growing enterprise must have a bold leader"
defence force, defense force, defence, defense - an organization of defenders that provides resistance against attack; "he joined the defense against invasion"
establishment - any large organization
fire brigade, fire company - a private or temporary organization of individuals equipped to fight fires
troupe, company - organization of performers and associated personnel (especially theatrical); "the traveling company all stayed at the same hotel"
social unit, unit - an organization regarded as part of a larger social group; "the coach said the offensive unit did a good job"; "after the battle the soldier had trouble rejoining his unit"
Peace Corps - a civilian organization sponsored by the United States government; helps people in developing countries
personnel, force - group of people willing to obey orders; "a public force is necessary to give security to the rights of citizens"
labor union, trade union, trades union, union, brotherhood - an organization of employees formed to bargain with the employer; "you have to join the union in order to get a job"
musical group, musical organisation, musical organization - an organization of musicians who perform together
party, political party - an organization to gain political power; "in 1992 Perot tried to organize a third party at the national level"
political machine, machine - a group that controls the activities of a political party; "he was endorsed by the Democratic machine"
machine - an intricate organization that accomplishes its goals efficiently; "the war machine"
professional organisation, professional organization - an organization of and for professional people
alignment, alinement, coalition, alliance - an organization of people (or countries) involved in a pact or treaty
federation - an organization formed by merging several groups or parties
quorum - a gathering of the minimal number of members of an organization to conduct business
pecking order, power structure, hierarchy - the organization of people at different ranks in an administrative body
membership, rank - the body of members of an organization or group; "they polled their membership"; "they found dissension in their own ranks"; "he joined the ranks of the unemployed"
Girl Scouts - an organization of young women and girls founded in 1912 for character development and citizenship training
blue - any organization or party whose uniforms or badges are blue; "the Union army was a vast blue"
gray, grey - any organization or party whose uniforms or badges are grey; "the Confederate army was a vast grey"
host - any organization that provides resources and facilities for a function or event; "Atlanta was chosen to be host for the Olympic Games"
|2.||organization - an organized structure for arranging or classifying; "he changed the arrangement of the topics"; "the facts were familiar but it was in the organization of them that he was original"; "he tried to understand their system of classification"|
structure - the complex composition of knowledge as elements and their combinations; "his lectures have no structure"
classification system - a system for classifying things
contrivance - an artificial or unnatural or obviously contrived arrangement of details or parts etc.; "the plot contained too many improbable contrivances to be believable"
coordinate system, frame of reference, reference frame, reference system - a system that uses coordinates to establish position
data structure - (computer science) the organization of data (and its storage allocations in a computer)
design, plan - an arrangement scheme; "the awkward design of the keyboard made operation difficult"; "it was an excellent design for living"; "a plan for seating guests"
distribution, statistical distribution - (statistics) an arrangement of values of a variable showing their observed or theoretical frequency of occurrence
genetic map - graphical representation of the arrangement of genes on a chromosome
kinship system - (anthropology) the system of social relationships that constitute kinship in a particular culture, including the terminology that is used and the reciprocal obligations that are entailed
lattice - an arrangement of points or particles or objects in a regular periodic pattern in 2 or 3 dimensions
living arrangement - an arrangement to allow people (or ideas) to coexist
ontology - (computer science) a rigorous and exhaustive organization of some knowledge domain that is usually hierarchical and contains all the relevant entities and their relations
calendar - a system of timekeeping that defines the beginning and length and divisions of the year
|3.||organization - the persons (or committees or departments etc.) who make up a body for the purpose of administering something; "he claims that the present administration is corrupt"; "the governance of an association is responsible to its members"; "he quickly became recognized as a member of the establishment"|
body - a group of persons associated by some common tie or occupation and regarded as an entity; "the whole body filed out of the auditorium"; "the student body"; "administrative body"
authorities, government, regime - the organization that is the governing authority of a political unit; "the government reduced taxes"; "the matter was referred to higher authorities"
Curia - (Roman Catholic Church) the central administration governing the Roman Catholic Church
top brass - the most important persons in a governing body
executive - persons who administer the law
county council - the elected governing body of a county
pecking order, power structure, hierarchy - the organization of people at different ranks in an administrative body
management - those in charge of running a business
|4.||organization - the act of organizing a business or an activity related to a business; "he was brought in to supervise the organization of a new department"|
administration, disposal - a method of tending to or managing the affairs of a some group of people (especially the group's business affairs)
nonprofit, nonprofit organization, not-for-profit - an organization chartered for other than profit-making activities
rationalisation, rationalization - the organization of a business according to scientific principles of management in order to increase efficiency
reorganisation, reorganization, shakeup, shake-up - the imposition of a new organization; organizing differently (often involving extensive and drastic changes); "a committee was appointed to oversee the reorganization of the curriculum"; "top officials were forced out in the cabinet shakeup"
self-organisation, self-organization - organizing yourself (especially organizing your own labor union)
syndication - organizing into or administering as a syndicate
|5.||organization - an ordered manner; orderliness by virtue of being methodical and well organized; "his compulsive organization was not an endearing quality"; "we can't do it unless we establish some system around here"|
|6.||organization - the activity or result of distributing or disposing persons or things properly or methodically; "his organization of the work force was very efficient"|
activity - any specific behavior; "they avoided all recreational activity"
randomisation, randomization - a deliberately haphazard arrangement of observations so as to simulate chance
systematisation, systematization, rationalisation, rationalization - systematic organization; the act of organizing something according to a system or a rationale
ordering, order - the act of putting things in a sequential arrangement; "there were mistakes in the ordering of items on the list"
|7.||organization - the act of forming or establishing something; "the constitution of a PTA group last year"; "it was the establishment of his reputation"; "he still remembers the organization of the club"|
commencement, start, beginning - the act of starting something; "he was responsible for the beginning of negotiations"
unionisation, unionization - act of forming labor unions; "the issue underlying the strike was unionization"
collectivisation, collectivization - the organization of a nation or economy on the basis of collectivism
federation - the act of constituting a political unity out of a number of separate states or colonies or provinces so that each member retains the management of its internal affairs
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
1. group, company, party, body, concern, league, association, band, institution, gathering, circle, corporation, federation, outfit (informal), faction, consortium, syndicate, combine, congregation, confederation Most of the funds are provided by voluntary organizations.
2. management, running, planning, making, control, operation, handling, structuring, administration, direction, regulation, construction, organizing, supervision, governance, formulation, coordination, methodology, superintendence the work that goes into the organization of this event
3. structure, grouping, plan, system, form, design, method, pattern, make-up, arrangement, construction, constitution, format, formation, framework, composition, chemistry, configuration, conformation, interrelation of parts the internal organization of the department
Economic organizations and treatiesACAS or Advisory, Conciliation, and Arbitration Service, Bretton Woods System, CACM or Central American Common Market, CAP or Common Agricultural Policy, CARICOM or Caribbean Community and Common Market, CARIFTA or Caribbean Free Trade Area, CBI or Confederation of British Industry, COMECON or Council for Mutual Economic Assistance, ECO or European Coal Organization, ECOSOC or Economic and Social Council, ECOWAS or Economic Community Of West African States, ECSC or European Coal and Steel Community, EEA or European Economic Area, EFTA or European Free Trade association, EMS or European Monetary System, EMU or European Monetary Union, EU or European Union, European Bank for Reconstruction and Development, European Investment Bank, European Monetary Cooperation Fund, European Regional Development Fund, GATT or General Agreement on Tariffs and Trade, Group of 7 or G7, IFC or International Finance Corporation, ILO or International Labour Organization, IMF or International Monetary Fund, LAFTA or Latin American Free Trade Association, Lomé agreements, Maastricht Treaty, Monopolies and Mergers Commission, NAFTA or New Zealand and Australia Free Trade Agreement, NAFTA or North American Free Trade Agreement, NEDC or National Economic Development Council, OECD or Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development, Office of Fair Trading, OPEC or Organization of Petroleum Exporting Countries, Single European Market Act, Treaty of Rome, TUC or Trades Union Congress, UNCTAD or United Nations Conference on Trade and Development, UNIDO or United Nations Industrial Development Organization, World Bank or International Bank for Reconstruction and Development, WTO or World Trade Organization
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
1. The act of founding or establishing:
2. A way or condition of being arranged:
3. Systematic arrangement and design:
4. A group of people united in a relationship and having some interest, activity, or purpose in common:
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
B. CPD organization chart N → organigrama m
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
organization[ˌɔːrgənaɪˈzeɪʃən] organisation (British) n
[event, activity] → organisation f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
(= arrangement) → Ordnung f; (of facts, work) → Organisation f; (of time) → Einteilung f; (of essay) → Aufbau m; (of sb’s life) → Planung f
n → Organisationsplan m
Organization for Economic Cooperation and Development
Organization of Arab Petroleum Exporting Countries
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
organization[ˌɔːgənaɪˈzeɪʃ/ən] n → organizzazione f
a charitable organization → un'organizzazione filantropica
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
1. to arrange or prepare (something), usually requiring some time or effort. They organized a conference. organiseer, reël يُنَظِّم، يُدَبِّر، يُعِد организирам organizar organizovat organisieren arrangere; organisere διοργανώνωorganizar organiseerima, korraldama ترتیب دادن؛ تشکیل دادن organisoida organiser לְאַרגֵן संगठन करना organizirati (meg)szervez; rendez menyelenggarakan skipuleggja organizzare 準備する 준비하다 (su)organizuoti, surengti organizēt; sagatavot mengatur organiserenorganisere, arrangereorganizować نظم وركول organizar a organiza организовывать; подготавливать organizovať organizirati organizovati organisera, arrangera จัดตั้ง düzenlemek 組織 організовувати; влаштовувати انتظام کرنا tổ chức 组织
2. to make into a society etc. He organized the workers into a trade union. organiseer, saamstel يُنَظِّم обединявам organizar zorganizovat organisieren organisere οργανωτήςorganizar koondama, organiseerima سازماندهی کردن؛ سامان دادن järjestäytyä organiser, syndiquer לְאַרגֵן संगठित करना udružiti organizál mengorganisir skipuleggja í samtök, virkja organizzare 組織する 조직하다 suburti, suvienyti organizēt; apvienot menubuhkan organiserenorganisere zrzeszać سازمان كول organizar a organiza (într‑un sindicat) организовывать; объединять zorganizovať organizirati (se) organizovati organisatör จัดตั้งเป็นองค์กร kurmak, örgütlemek 使...組織起來 організовувати منظم کرنا thành lập 使...组织起来ˈorganizer, ˈorganiser noun
organiseerder مُنَظِّم، مُرَتِّب организатор organizador organizátor, ka der/die Organisator(in) arrangør; organisator οργανωτήςorganizador organiseerija, korraldaja سازمان دهنده؛ تشکیل دهنده organisoija organisateur/-trice מְאַרגֵן संगठन, आयोजक organizator (meg)szervező, rendező penyelenggara skipuleggjandi organizzatore, organizzatrice 主催者 조직자 organizatorius, rengėjas organizators penganjur organisatororganisator, arrangørorganizator جوړونكى organizador organizator организатор organizátor, -ka organizator organizator organisatör ผู้จัดตั้ง düzenleyici, organizatör 組織者 організатор منتظم nhà tổ chức 组织者ˌorganiˈzation, ˌorganiˈsation noun
1. a group of people working together for a purpose. a business organization. organisasie, instansie مُنَظَّمَه организация organização organizace die Organisation organisation; -organisation οργανισμός, οργάνωσηorganización organisatsioon سازمان organisaatio organisationארגון संगठन organizacija szervezet organisasi félag, samtök organizzazione 組織 조직, 단체 organizacija organizācija organisasi organisatieforening, organisasjonorganizacja سازمان organização organizaţie организация organizácia organizacija organizacija organisation องค์กร kurum, kuruluş 組織，團體 організація تنظيم، ادارہ cơ quan 组织，团体
2. the act of organizing. Efficiency depends on the organization of one's work. organisering تَنْظيم организиране organização organizace die Organisation organisering οργάνωσηorganización organiseerimine سازماندهی organisointi organisation לְאַרגֵן संगठन organizacija (meg)szervezés pelaksanaan skipulagning organizzazione 体制 조직화 organizavimas organizācija, organizēšana pengurusan organisatieorganiseringorganizacja سازماندهی organização organizare организация organizácia organiziranje organizovanje organisering การจัดองค์กร düzenleme 組織（指動作） організація تنظيم، نظم sự tổ chức 组织（指动作）
3. the state of being organized. This report lacks organization. organisasie, struktuur نِظام، تَنْظيم، تَرْتيب организиран organização organizace die Gliederung systematik οργάνωσηorganización organiseeritus سازمندی järjestys organisationארגון व्यवस्था, संगठित कार्य-प्रणाली, संगठन organizacija szervezettség tersusun rapi skipulag organizzazione 構成 조직화된 상태 organizuotumas, sistemingumas organizētība, sistēma penyusunan structuurorganisering, system uporządkowanie, porządek جوړښت organização structură приведение в систему organizácia organiziranost organizacija organisation, struktur, komposition ความเป็นระเบียบ düzen tertip 組織（指狀態） організація, порядок نظم tình trạng được tổ chức 组织（指状态）ˈorganized, ˈorganised adjective
1. efficient. She's a very organized person. georganiseerd ناجِع ، مُنَظَّم организиран organizado výkonný tüchtig organiseret οργανωμένος, αποτελεσματικόςorganizado organiseeritud موثر؛ کارآمد tehokas organiséמאורגן संगठित organiziran hatékony efisien skipulagður organizzato まめな 유능한 organizuotai dirbantis organizēts, kārtīgs teratur methodischeffektiv, systematisk sumienny zorganizowany اغيزمن organizado cu spirit organizatoric собранный výkonný organiziran organizovan organiserad, strukturerad มีประสิทธิภาพ düzenli, tertipli 有組織性的 організований, зібраний منظم، قابل hiệu quả 有组织性的
2. well-arranged. an organized report. gestruktureerd مُنَظَّم، مُرَتَّب подреден organizado sestavený ordentlich veltilrettelagt οργανωμένος, μεθοδικόςorganizado organiseeritud, korrastatud منظم jäsentynyt méthodiqueמאורגן सुव्यवस्थित organiziran, sređen jól szervezett, előkészített tersusun rapi skipulagður organizzato 整然とした 체계적인 gerai parengtas sistemātisks; sakārtots teratur goed gestructureerd ordnet dobrze zorganizowany, uporządkowany منظم metódico sistematizat хорошо подготовленный zostavený urejen organizovan strukturerad มีระเบียบ düzenli 組織得有條理的 систематизований مرتب được tổ chức tốt 组织得有条理的
3. having been planned. an organized protest. georganiseerd مُنَظَّم سَلَفا планиран organizado organizovaný organisiert organiseret οργανωμένος, σχεδιασμένοςorganizado organiseeritav, korraldatav سازمان یافته suunniteltu organiséמאורגן संगठित organiziran, planiran szervezett terencana skipulagður organizzato 組織された 계획된 (iš anksto) suorganizuotas organizēts; plānots; saskaņots terancang georganiseerd organisert zorganizowany سازمان شوى organizado organizat организованный organizovaný organiziran organizovan organiserad วางแผนไว้แล้ว organize edilmiş, tertiplenmiş 有組織的 організований, упорядкований منصوبہ بند đượcchuẩn bị 有组织的
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.
organization→ مُنَظَمَةٌ organizace organisation Organisation οργάνωση organización järjestö organisation organizacija organizzazione 組織 조직 organisatie organisasjon organizacja organização организация organisation องค์กร organizasyon tổ chức 组织
Multilingual Translator © HarperCollins Publishers 2009
n. organización; asociación.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012
organizationn organización f; health maintenance — (HMO) (US) plan m de salud que procura reducir costos al contratar médicos de acuerdo al número de pacientes que atienden; World Health Organization (WHO) Organización Mundial de la Salud (OMS)
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.