orienting(redirected from orientingly)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
Related to orientingly: orienting response
1. Orient The countries of Asia, especially of eastern Asia.
a. The luster characteristic of a pearl of high quality.
b. A pearl having exceptional luster.
3. Archaic The place on the horizon where the sun rises; the east.
1. Having exceptional luster: orient gemstones.
2. Archaic Eastern; oriental.
tr.v. (ôr′ē-ĕnt′) or·i·ent·ed, or·i·ent·ing, or·i·ents
a. To align or position in a particular direction or in a particular relation to the points of the compass: orient the swimming pool north and south; oriented the telescope toward the moon.
b. To build (a church) with the nave laid out in an east-west direction and the main altar usually at the eastern end.
2. To determine the bearings of (oneself); cause (one) to know one's position in relation to the surroundings: oriented himself by the neon sign on top of the building.
3. To make familiar with a new situation: events to help students get oriented to life on campus.
4. To provide with a primary purpose or focus of attention: a medical system that is oriented toward the prevention of disease.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||orienting - positioning with respect to a reference system or determining your bearings physically or intellectually; "noticed the bee's momentary orienting pause before heading back to the hive"; "an orienting program for new employees"|
orientated, oriented - adjusted or located in relation to surroundings or circumstances; sometimes used in combination; "the house had its large windows oriented toward the ocean view"; "helping freshmen become oriented to college life"; "the book is value-oriented throughout"
disorienting - causing loss of physical or intellectual bearings; "making so many turns to the right and then the left was completely disorienting"; "a sharp blow to the head can be disorienting"