Also found in: Thesaurus, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. The playing area extending outward from the diamond, divided into left, center, and right field.
2. Abbr. OF The position played by an outfielder.
3. The members of a team playing in the outfield.
1. (Cricket) cricket the area of the field relatively far from the pitch; the deep. Compare infield1
2. (Baseball) baseball
a. the area of the playing field beyond the lines connecting first, second, and third bases
b. the positions of the left fielder, centre fielder, and right fielder taken collectively. Compare infield2
3. (Agriculture) agriculture farmland most distant from the farmstead
a. the part of a baseball field beyond the diamond.
b. the positions played by the right, center, and left fielders.
c. the outfielders considered as a group (contrasted with infield).
2. the part of a cricket field farthest from the batsman.
Grass-covered area between the infield and the fences or walls farthest from home plate.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||outfield - the area of a baseball playing field beyond the lines connecting the bases|
center field, centerfield, center - the piece of ground in the outfield directly ahead of the catcher; "he hit the ball to deep center"
left field, leftfield, left - the piece of ground in the outfield on the catcher's left; "the batter flied out to left"