Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One that lives or is located outside or at the edge of a given area: outliers of the forest standing in the field.
2. One that exists outside or at an extreme of a category, pattern, or expectation; an extreme case or exception: "those egg-laying outliers of mammaldom, the duck-billed platypus and the anteating echidna" (Natalie Angier).
3. A value far from most others in a set of data: "Outliers make statistical analyses difficult" (Harvey Motulsky).
4. A portion of stratified rock separated from a main formation by erosion.
1. (Geological Science) an outcrop of rocks that is entirely surrounded by older rocks
2. a person, thing, or part situated away from a main or related body
3. a person who lives away from his place of work, duty, etc
4. (Statistics) statistics a point in a sample widely separated from the main cluster of points in the sample. See scatter diagram
1. a person residing away from a business, duty, etc.
2. Geol. a part of a formation left detached through the removal of surrounding parts by erosion.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||outlier - a person who lives away from his place of work|
|2.||outlier - an extreme deviation from the mean|
statistics - a branch of applied mathematics concerned with the collection and interpretation of quantitative data and the use of probability theory to estimate population parameters
deviation - the difference between an observed value and the expected value of a variable or function