Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Financial, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. One that lives or is located outside or at the edge of a given area: outliers of the forest standing in the field.
2. One that exists outside or at an extreme of a category, pattern, or expectation; an extreme case or exception: "those egg-laying outliers of mammaldom, the duck-billed platypus and the anteating echidna" (Natalie Angier).
3. A value far from most others in a set of data: "Outliers make statistical analyses difficult" (Harvey Motulsky).
4. A portion of stratified rock separated from a main formation by erosion.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Geological Science) an outcrop of rocks that is entirely surrounded by older rocks
2. a person, thing, or part situated away from a main or related body
3. a person who lives away from his place of work, duty, etc
4. (Statistics) statistics a point in a sample widely separated from the main cluster of points in the sample. See scatter diagram
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a person residing away from a business, duty, etc.
2. Geol. a part of a formation left detached through the removal of surrounding parts by erosion.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||outlier - a person who lives away from his place of work|
|2.||outlier - an extreme deviation from the mean|
statistics - a branch of applied mathematics concerned with the collection and interpretation of quantitative data and the use of probability theory to estimate population parameters
deviation - the difference between an observed value and the expected value of a variable or function
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.