Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
a. A projecting beam or spar run out from the side of a vessel to help in securing the masts or from a mast to be used in extending a rope or sail.
b. A long thin float attached parallel to a seagoing canoe by projecting spars as a means of preventing it from capsizing.
c. A vessel fitted with such a float or beam.
d. A support for an oarlock projecting from the side of a racing shell.
e. A racing shell fitted with such a support.
2. A projecting frame extending laterally beyond the main structure of a vehicle, aircraft, or machine to stabilize the structure or support an extending part.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Nautical Terms) a framework for supporting a pontoon outside and parallel to the hull of a boat to provide stability
2. (Nautical Terms) a boat equipped with such a framework, esp one of the canoes of the South Pacific
3. any projecting framework attached to a boat, aircraft, building, etc, to act as a support
4. (Rowing) rowing another name for rigger2
[C18: from out- + rig1 + -er1; perhaps influenced by archaic outligger outlier]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a framework supporting a float extended outboard from the side of a boat for increasing stability.
2. a bracket extending outward from the side of a racing shell to support an oarlock.
3. the shell itself.
4. a spar rigged out from a ship's rail or the like, as for extending a sail.
5. a projecting beam, as for supporting a hoisting tackle.
6. a structure extending outward from an aircraft or the like to increase stability or provide support.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||outrigger - a stabilizer for a canoe; spars attach to a shaped log or float parallel to the hull|
outrigger canoe - a seagoing canoe (as in South Pacific) with an outrigger to prevent it from upsetting
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
outrigger[ˈaʊtˌrɪgəʳ] N (= beam, spar) → batanga f, balancín m; (= rowlock) → portarremos m exterior; (= boat) → bote m con batanga, bote m con portarremos exterior
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005