outrun(redirected from outrunning)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Legal.
tr.v. out·ran (-răn′), out·run, out·run·ning, out·runs
a. To run faster than.
b. To escape from: outrun one's creditors.
2. To go beyond; exceed: "Man's ingenuity has outrun his intelligence" (Joseph Wood Krutch).
vb (tr) , -runs, -running, -ran or -run
1. to run faster, farther, or better than
2. to escape from by or as if by running
3. to go beyond; exceed
v.t. -ran, -run, -run•ning.
1. to run faster or farther than.
2. to exceed; surpass.
Past participle: outrun
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||outrun - run faster than; "in this race, I managed to outran everybody else"|
run - move fast by using one's feet, with one foot off the ground at any given time; "Don't run--you'll be out of breath"; "The children ran to the store"
1. outdistance, beat, escape, leave behind, get away from, shake off, outstrip, lose, leave standing (informal), outpace There are not many sprinters who can outrun him.