outwear(redirected from outwearing)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
tr.v. out·wore (-wôr′), out·worn (-wôrn′), out·wear·ing, out·wears
1. To last longer than; outlast: durable clothing that outwears other brands.
2. To use up or exhaust: an umbrella that had outworn its usefulness; guests who had outworn their welcome.
vb (tr) , -wears, -wearing, -wore or -worn
1. to use up or destroy by wearing
2. to last or wear longer than
3. to outlive, outgrow, or develop beyond
4. to deplete or exhaust in strength, determination, etc
v.t. -wore, -worn, -wear•ing.
1. to wear or last longer than; outlast.
2. to exhaust in strength or endurance.
3. to wear out; destroy by wearing.
Past participle: outworn
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||outwear - last longer than others; "This material outwears all others"|
|2.||outwear - exhaust or get tired through overuse or great strain or stress; "We wore ourselves out on this hike"|
indispose - cause to feel unwell; "She was indisposed"
exhaust, tucker, tucker out, wash up, beat - wear out completely; "This kind of work exhausts me"; "I'm beat"; "He was all washed up after the exam"