Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A thrushlike warbler (Seiurus aurocapilla) of the Americas, having a loud call and characteristically building a domed, oven-shaped nest on the ground. Also called teacher bird.
2. Any of various South American birds of the family Furnariidae, especially of the genus Furnarius.
[From its oven-shaped nest.]
1. (Animals) any of numerous small brownish South American passerine birds of the family Furnariidae that build oven-shaped clay nests
2. (Animals) a common North American warbler, Seiurus aurocapillus, that has an olive-brown striped plumage with an orange crown and builds a cup-shaped nest on the ground
1. a North American wood warbler, Seiurus aurocapillus, that builds an oven-shaped nest on the forest floor.
2. any of numerous suboscine songbirds of the family Furnariidae, ranging from S Mexico through South America, some species of which build an oven-shaped nest.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ovenbird - American warbler; builds a dome-shaped nest on the ground|
|2.||ovenbird - small brownish South American birds that build oven-shaped clay nests|
tyrannid - a passerine bird of the suborder Tyranni