Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. A thrushlike warbler (Seiurus aurocapilla) of the Americas, having a loud call and characteristically building a domed, oven-shaped nest on the ground. Also called teacher bird.
2. Any of various South American birds of the family Furnariidae, especially of the genus Furnarius.
[From its oven-shaped nest.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Animals) any of numerous small brownish South American passerine birds of the family Furnariidae that build oven-shaped clay nests
2. (Animals) a common North American warbler, Seiurus aurocapillus, that has an olive-brown striped plumage with an orange crown and builds a cup-shaped nest on the ground
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a North American wood warbler, Seiurus aurocapillus, that builds an oven-shaped nest on the forest floor.
2. any of numerous suboscine songbirds of the family Furnariidae, ranging from S Mexico through South America, some species of which build an oven-shaped nest.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||ovenbird - American warbler; builds a dome-shaped nest on the ground|
|2.||ovenbird - small brownish South American birds that build oven-shaped clay nests|
tyrannid - a passerine bird of the suborder Tyranni
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.