Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to over-the-counter: Over-the-counter drugs
adj. Abbr. OTC
1. Not listed or available on an officially recognized stock exchange but traded in direct negotiation between buyers and sellers: over-the-counter stocks.
2. Sold legally without a doctor's prescription: over-the-counter drugs.
1. (Stock Exchange)
a. (of securities) not listed or quoted on a stock exchange
b. (of a security market) dealing in such securities
c. (of security transactions) conducted through a broker's office directly between purchaser and seller and not on a stock exchange
2. (Pharmacology) (of medicinal drugs) able to be sold without a prescription. Abbreviation: OTC Compare POM
1. not listed on or transacted through an organized securities exchange: over-the-counter stocks.
2. sold legally without a prescription: over-the-counter drugs.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||over-the-counter - purchasable without a doctor's prescription; "nonprescription drugs"; "an over-the-counter cold remedy"|
medicament, medication, medicinal drug, medicine - (medicine) something that treats or prevents or alleviates the symptoms of disease
prescription - available only with a doctor's written prescription; "a prescription drug"
|2.||over-the-counter - (of securities) not traded on a stock exchange; "over-the-counter stocks"|
unlisted - not on a list; "an unlisted telephone number"