overbuy(redirected from overbuys)
Also found in: Financial.
v. o·ver·bought (-bôt′), o·ver·buy·ing, o·ver·buys
1. To buy in excessive amounts.
2. To buy (stock) on margin in excess of one's ability to provide further security if prices drop.
To buy goods beyond one's means or needs.
vb (tr) , -buys, -buying or -bought
1. (Commerce) to buy too much or too many, or more than one needs or can afford, of (something)
2. (Stock Exchange) to buy (stocks, shares, etc) at a price that is too high and is likely to drop
v. -bought, -buy•ing. v.t.
1. to purchase in excessive quantities.v.i.
2. to buy regardless of one's needs or financial means.
[1400–50; late Middle English overbiggen]
Past participle: overbought