Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to overlapping: overlapping genes
v. o·ver·lapped, o·ver·lap·ping, o·ver·laps
1. To lie or extend over and cover part of.
2. To have an area or range in common with.
1. To lie over and partly cover something.
2. To correspond in character or function: Their duties overlap.
3. Mathematics To have one or more elements in common. Used of sets.
1. A part or portion that overlaps or is overlapped.
2. An instance of overlapping.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||overlapping - covering with a design in which one element covers a part of another (as with tiles or shingles)|
covering - an artifact that covers something else (usually to protect or shelter or conceal it)
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.