overshot(redirected from overshotly)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to overshotly: Overshot wheel
Past tense and past participle of overshoot.
1. Having an upper part projecting beyond the lower: an overshot jaw.
2. Operated by water that flows over the top from above: an overshot water wheel.
A pattern in weaving made when filling threads are passed over two or more warp threads.
1. (Zoology) having or designating an upper jaw that projects beyond the lower jaw, esp when considered as an abnormality
2. (Mechanical Engineering) (of a water wheel) driven by a flow of water that passes over the wheel rather than under it. Compare undershot
o•ver•shot(adj., n. ˈoʊ vərˌʃɒt; v. -ˈʃɒt)
1. driven by water passing over the top from above: an overshot water wheel.
2. having the upper jaw projecting beyond the lower, as a dog.v.
3. pt. and pp. of overshoot.n.
4. (in weaving) a pattern formed when filling threads are passed over several warp threads at a time.