Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
v. o·ver·wrote (-rōt′), o·ver·writ·ten (-rĭt′n), o·ver·writ·ing, o·ver·writes
1. To cover (something) with writing.
2. To write about in an artificial or an excessively elaborate, wordy style.
a. To destroy or lose (old data) by recording new data over it: accidentally overwrote an important document.
b. To record (new data) on top of already stored data, thus destroying the old data: overwrote an updated document on top of an earlier draft.
To write artificial, excessively elaborate, or wordy prose.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
vb, -writes, -writing, -wrote or -written
1. (Literary & Literary Critical Terms) to write (something) in an excessively ornate or prolix style
2. to write too much about (someone or something)
3. to write on top of (other writing)
4. (Computer Science) to record on a storage medium, such as a magnetic disk, thus destroying what was originally recorded there
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
v. -wrote, -writ•ten, -writ•ing. v.t.
1. to write in too elaborate or prolix a style.
2. to write on or over.v.i.
3. to write too elaborately or lengthily.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Past participle: overwritten
Collins English Verb Tables © HarperCollins Publishers 2011
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||overwrite - write new data on top of existing data and thus erase the previously existing data; "overwrite that file"|
computer science, computing - the branch of engineering science that studies (with the aid of computers) computable processes and structures
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
overwrite[ˌəʊvəˈraɪt] (overwrote (pt)) [ˌəʊvəˈrəʊt] (overwritten (pp)) [ˌəʊvəˈrɪtn]
2. (Comput) → sobreescribir
B. VI → exagerar
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
overwrite[ˌəʊvərˈraɪt] [overwrote] (pt) [overwritten] (pp) vt (COMPUTING) [+ file] → écraser
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005