owed(redirected from owedly)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
obliged to pay; indebted: He still owed money on his car loan.; to have a feeling toward someone or something: He owed me gratitude for my help.
Not to be confused with:
ode – a lyric poem expressive of exalted or enthusiastic emotion
Abused, Confused, & Misused Words by Mary Embree Copyright © 2007, 2013 by Mary Embree
v. owed, ow·ing, owes
1. To be indebted to the amount of: He owes me five dollars.
2. To have a moral or legal obligation to render or offer: I owe them an apology.
3. To be in debt to: We owe the plumber for services rendered.
4. To be indebted or obliged for: owed their riches to oil; owes her good health to diet and exercise.
5. To bear (a certain feeling) toward a person or persons: You seem to owe your neighbors a grudge.
6. Archaic To have as a possession; own.
To be in debt: She still owes for the car.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.