owl(redirected from owl midge)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. Any of various often nocturnal birds of prey of the order Strigiformes, having hooked and feathered talons, a large head with a short hooked beak, large eyes set forward, and fluffy plumage that allows for almost noiseless flight.
2. Any of several breeds of domestic pigeons having a very short beak somewhat like that of an owl and often a frill of feathers on the chest.
[Middle English owle, from Old English ūle, of imitative origin.]
1. (Animals) any nocturnal bird of prey of the order Strigiformes, having large front-facing eyes, a small hooked bill, soft feathers, and a short neck
2. (Breeds) any of various breeds of owl-like fancy domestic pigeon (esp the African owl, Chinese owl, and English owl)
3. a person who looks or behaves like an owl, esp in having a solemn manner
[Old English ūle; related to Dutch uil, Old High German ūwila, Old Norse ugla]
1. any of numerous chiefly nocturnal birds of prey comprising the order Strigiformes, having a broad head with large, forward-directed eyes that are usu. surrounded by disks of modified feathers.
2. night owl.
3. a person of owllike solemnity or appearance.
[before 900; Middle English oule, Old English ūle, c. Middle Low German, Middle Dutch ūle, Old Norse ugla; akin to Old High German ūwila (German Eule)]
Any of various birds of prey that are usually active at night and have a large head, large forward-facing eyes, a short hooked bill, and a flat round face.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||owl - nocturnal bird of prey with hawk-like beak and claws and large head with front-facing eyes|
bird of prey, raptor, raptorial bird - any of numerous carnivorous birds that hunt and kill other animals
owlet - young owl
horned owl - large owls having prominent ear tufts
great gray owl, great grey owl, Strix nebulosa - large dish-faced owl of northern North America and western Eurasia
barred owl, Strix varia - large owl of eastern North America having its breast and abdomen streaked with brown
Otus asio, screech owl - small North American owl having hornlike tufts of feathers whose call sounds like a quavering whistle
screech owl - any owl that has a screeching cry
scops owl - any of several small owls having ear tufts and a whistling call
spotted owl, Strix occidentalis - a large owl of North America found in forests from British Columbia to central Mexico; has dark brown plumage and a heavily spotted chest
hoot owl - any owl that hoots as distinct from screeching
hawk owl, Surnia ulula - grey-and-white diurnal hawk-like owl of northern parts of the northern hemisphere
owl[ˈaʊl] n → chouette f
a type of bird that flies at night and feeds on small birds and animals. uil بومَه бухал coruja sova, výr die Eule ugle κουκουβάγιαbúho, lechuza öökull جغد pöllö hibouינשוף उल्लू sova bagoly burung hantu ugla gufo; civetta ふくろう 올빼미 pelėda pūce burung hantu uiluglesowa كونګ coruja bufniţă сова, филин sova sova sova uggla นกฮูก baykuş 貓頭鷹 сова الو، بوم con cú 猫头鹰