arc(redirected from painful arc)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
Related to painful arc: drop arm test
a curved line; something shaped like a bow or arch: the arc of a rainbow
Not to be confused with:
ark – a place of refuge; a large, commodious boat
1. AIDS-related complex
2. American Red Cross
1. Something shaped like a curve or arch: the vivid arc of a rainbow.
2. Mathematics A segment of a circle.
3. An electric arc.
4. Astronomy The apparent path of a celestial body as it rises above and falls below the horizon.
5. A progression of events suggesting narrative cohesion, especially one that rises to a climax and settles to a final conclusion.
intr.v. arced (ärkt), arc·ing (är′kĭng), arcs
1. To form an arc.
2. To move or seem to move in a curved path: the stars that arc across the sky.
[Middle English ark, from Old French arc, from Latin arcus.]
1. something curved in shape
2. part of an unbroken curved line
3. (General Physics) a luminous discharge that occurs when an electric current flows between two electrodes or any other two surfaces separated by a small gap and a high potential difference
4. (Astronomy) astronomy a circular section of the apparent path of a celestial body
5. (Mathematics) maths a section of a curve, graph, or geometric figure
vb, arcs, arcing, arced, arcs, arcking or arcked
(intr) to form an arc
(Mathematics) maths specifying an inverse trigonometric function: usually written arcsin, arctan, arcsec, etc, or sometimes sin–1, tan–1, sec–1, etc
[C14: from Old French, from Latin arcus bow, arch]
(Pathology) AIDS-related complex: an early condition in which a person infected with the AIDS virus may suffer from such mild symptoms as loss of weight, fever, etc
n., v. arced (ärkt) or arcked, arc•ing (ˈɑr kɪŋ) or arck•ing. n.
1. any unbroken part of the circumference of a circle or other curved line.
2. a luminous bridge formed in a gap between two electrodes.
3. the part of a circle representing the apparent course of a heavenly body.
4. something curved or arched like a bow.
5. a short set of episodes constituting a complete story line in a soap opera or other long serial.v.i.
6. to form an electric arc.
7. to move in or describe an arched course.
[1350–1400; Middle English < Latin arcus bow, arch, curve]
American Red Cross.
A segment of a circle.
Past participle: arced/arcked
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||arc - electrical conduction through a gas in an applied electric field|
brush discharge - discharge between electrodes creating visible streamers of ionized particles
corona discharge, corposant, electric glow, Saint Elmo's fire, Saint Elmo's light, Saint Ulmo's fire, Saint Ulmo's light, St. Elmo's fire, corona - an electrical discharge accompanied by ionization of surrounding atmosphere
flashover - an unintended electric discharge (as over or around an insulator)
electrical conduction - the passage of electricity through a conductor
|2.||arc - a continuous portion of a circle |
limb - the graduated arc that is attached to an instrument for measuring angles; "the limb of the sextant"
circle - ellipse in which the two axes are of equal length; a plane curve generated by one point moving at a constant distance from a fixed point; "he calculated the circumference of the circle"
sector - a plane figure bounded by two radii and the included arc of a circle
|3.||arc - something curved in shape |
rainbow - an arc of colored light in the sky caused by refraction of the sun's rays by rain
|Verb||1.||arc - form an arch or curve; "her back arches"; "her hips curve nicely"|
camber - curve upward in the middle
arcarc de courbe
n → Bogen m
a part of the line which forms a circle or other curve. boog قَوْس дъга arco oblouk der Kreisbogen bue τόξοarco kaar قوس؛ نیم دایره kaari arcקשת वृत्तांश luk ív lengkung bogi arco 弧 원호 lankas loks lengkung boog, cirkelboogbuełuk قوس، نیمه دایره arco arc дуга oblúk lok luk cirkelbåge ส่วนโค้ง yay 圓弧 дуга دائرے یا قوس کا ایک حصہ hình cung 弧