Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia.
a. A liquid mixture, usually of a solid pigment in a liquid vehicle, used as a decorative or protective coating.
b. The thin dry film formed by such a mixture when applied to a surface.
c. The solid pigment before it is mixed with a vehicle.
2. A cosmetic, such as rouge, that is used to give color to the face; makeup.
3. Basketball The free throw lane.
4. A Paint horse.
5. Slang The face cards in a deck of cards: I haven't seen any paint for the last ten hands.
v. paint·ed, paint·ing, paints
1. To make (a picture) with paints.
a. To represent in a picture with paints.
b. To depict vividly in words.
3. To coat or decorate with paint: paint a house.
4. To apply cosmetics to.
5. To apply medicine to; swab: paint a wound.
6. To shine a laser beam on, especially in order to designate a target for laser-guided munitions.
1. To practice the art of painting pictures.
2. To cover something with paint.
3. To apply cosmetics to oneself: "Let her paint an inch thick, to this favor she must come" (Shakespeare).
4. To serve as a surface to be coated with paint: These nonporous surfaces paint badly with a brush.
paint the black
Baseball To throw a pitched ball over the edge of home plate for a strike.
paint the town red Slang
To go on a spree.
[From Middle English painten, to paint, from Old French peintier, from peint, past participle of peindre, from Latin pingere; see peig- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||paintable - lending itself to being painted; "a highly paintable landscape"; "made of sturdy eminently paintable wood"|
unpaintable - not paintable especially not suitable for artistic representation on canvas; "the inexpressible, unpaintable `tick' in the unconscious"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.