painterly(redirected from painterlily)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
1. Of, relating to, or characteristic of a painter; artistic.
a. Having qualities unique to the art of painting.
b. Of, relating to, or being a style of painting marked by openness of form, with shapes distinguished by variations of color rather than by outline or contour.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Art Terms) having qualities peculiar to painting, esp the depiction of shapes by means of solid masses of colour, rather than by lines. Compare linear5
2. (Art Terms) of or characteristic of a painter; artistic
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
paint•er•ly(ˈpeɪn tər li)
1. characterized by the rendering of forms and images in terms of color or tonal relations rather than contour or line.
2. of or characteristic of a painter.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||painterly - having qualities unique to the art of painting|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
painterly[ˈpeɪntəlɪ] ADJ [style, talents] → pictoricista
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007