velum(redirected from palatine velum, velum palatinum)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. ve·la (-lə)
1. Biology A covering or partition of thin membranous tissue, such as the veil of a mushroom, a rim of tissue around the margin of the bell of certain cnidarians, or a membrane of the brain.
2. Anatomy The soft palate.
3. Zoology A ciliated swimming and feeding organ that develops in certain larval stages of most gastropod and bivalve mollusks.
[Latin vēlum, veil.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -la (-lə)
1. (Zoology) zoology any of various membranous structures, such as the ciliated oral membrane of certain mollusc larvae or the veil-like membrane running around the rim of a jellyfish
2. (Anatomy) anatomy any of various veil-like bodily structures, esp the soft palate
3. (Botany) botany another word for veil6
[C18: from Latin: veil]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -la (-lə)
1. Biol. any of various veillike or curtainlike membranous partitions.
2. the soft palate. See under palate (def. 1).
3. the frontal ciliated swimming organ of gastropod larvae.
[1765–75; < Latin vēlum sail, covering]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||velum - a membranous covering attached to the immature fruiting body of certain mushrooms|
universal veil - membrane initially completely investing the young sporophore of various mushrooms that is ruptured by growth; represented in the mature mushroom by a volva around lower part of stem and scales on upper surface of the cap
partial veil - membrane of the young sporophore of various mushrooms extending from the margin of the cap to the stem and is ruptured by growth; represented in mature mushroom by an annulus around the stem and sometimes a cortina on the margin of the cap
|2.||velum - a muscular flap that closes off the nasopharynx during swallowing or speaking|
uvula - a small pendant fleshy lobe at the back of the soft palate
palate, roof of the mouth - the upper surface of the mouth that separates the oral and nasal cavities
flap - a movable piece of tissue partly connected to the body
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.