palette(redirected from palettes)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
an artist’s paint board; the set of colors on such a board
Abused, Confused, & Misused Words by Mary Embree Copyright © 2007, 2013 by Mary Embree
1. A board, typically with a hole for the thumb, which an artist can hold while painting and on which colors are mixed.
a. The range of colors used in a visual medium, in a picture, or by an artist: a limited palette.
b. Any similar set of elements or qualities, such as musical notes, used in a medium, in a composition, or by an artist.
[French, from Old French, small potter's shovel, diminutive of pale, shovel, spade, from Latin pāla; see pag- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Art Terms) Also: pallet a flat piece of wood, plastic, etc, used by artists as a surface on which to mix their paints
2. (Art Terms) the range of colours characteristic of a particular artist, painting, or school of painting: a restricted palette.
3. (Computer Science) the available range of colours or patterns that can be displayed by a computer on a visual display unit
4. (Arms & Armour (excluding Firearms)) either of the plates of metal attached by a strap to the cuirass in a suit of armour to protect the armpits
[C17: from French, diminutive of pale shovel, from Latin pala spade]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
1. a thin, usu. oval or oblong board or tablet used by painters for holding and mixing colors.
2. the set of colors on such a board.
3. the range of colors used by a particular artist.
4. the variety of techniques or range of any art: a composer's musical palette.
5. the complete range of colors made available by a computer graphics card, from which a user or program may choose those to be displayed.
[1615–25; < French, Middle French < Italian paletta, diminutive of pala shovel < Latin pāla]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. A flat surface used by a painter to mix colors, traditionally oblong with a hole for the thumb.
2. The range of colors available to a painter.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||palette - the range of colour characteristic of a particular artist or painting or school of art|
ambit, range, scope, reach, compass, orbit - an area in which something acts or operates or has power or control: "the range of a supersonic jet"; "a piano has a greater range than the human voice"; "the ambit of municipal legislation"; "within the compass of this article"; "within the scope of an investigation"; "outside the reach of the law"; "in the political orbit of a world power"
|2.||palette - board that provides a flat surface on which artists mix paints and the range of colors used|
board - a flat piece of material designed for a special purpose; "he nailed boards across the windows"
|3.||palette - one of the rounded armor plates at the armpits of a suit of armor|
armor plate, armor plating, armour plate, plate armor, plate armour - specially hardened steel plate used to protect fortifications or vehicles from enemy fire
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
noun see palate
Collins Thesaurus of the English Language – Complete and Unabridged 2nd Edition. 2002 © HarperCollins Publishers 1995, 2002
لَوْحَة ألوان الرَسّام
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
(for mixing paints) → palette f
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
n → Palette f
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
palette[ˈpælɪt] n → tavolozza
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
a small flat piece of wood etc, with a hole for the thumb, on which an artist mixes his colours. palet لَوْحَة ألوان الرَسّام палитра paleta paleta die Palette palet παλέταpaleta palett شستی نقاشی paletti palette לוּח הַצבָעִים रंग मिलाने की तख्ती paleta paletta palet litaspjald tavolozza パレット 팔레트, 조색판(調色板) paletė palete pelet paletpalettpaleta كمكۍ هګۍ ډوله، تخته چې هلته انځور ګران او نقاشان رنګونه سره ګډوي paleta paletă палитра paleta paleta paleta palett จานผสมสีของจิตรกร palet 調色板 палітра مصور کي تختي bảng màu 调色板
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.