Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to palliative: palliative treatment, Palliative medicine
1. Tending or serving to palliate.
2. Alleviating the symptoms of a disease or disorder, especially one that is terminal, when a cure is not available.
One that palliates, especially a palliative drug or medicine.
serving to palliate; relieving without curing
something that palliates, such as a sedative drug or agent
pal•li•a•tive(ˈpæl iˌeɪ tɪv, -i ə tɪv)
1. serving to palliate: a palliative medicine.n.
2. something that palliates.
[1535–45; < Middle French palliatif]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||palliative - remedy that alleviates pain without curing|
|Adj.||1.||palliative - moderating pain or sorrow by making it easier to bear|
moderating - lessening in intensity or strength
1. drug, painkiller, sedative, tranquillizer, anodyne, analgesic, demulcent, calmative, lenitive Insulin merely acts as a palliative.
palliative[ˈpælɪətɪv] n → palliativo
a. paliativo-a, lenitivo-a, que alivia.