pallium(redirected from palliums)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
n. pl. pal·li·ums or pal·li·a (păl′ē-ə)
1. A cloak or mantle worn by the ancient Greeks and Romans.
2. Ecclesiastical A vestment worn by the pope and conferred by him on archbishops. Also called pall1.
a. The mantle of gray matter forming the cerebral cortex.
b. The mantle of a mollusk or a brachiopod.
n, pl -lia (-lɪə) or -liums
1. (Historical Terms) a garment worn by men in ancient Greece or Rome, made by draping a large rectangular cloth about the body
2. (Roman Catholic Church) chiefly RC Church a woollen vestment consisting of a band encircling the shoulders with two lappets hanging from it front and back: worn by the pope, all archbishops, and (as a mark of special honour) some bishops
3. (Anatomy) anatomy Also called: mantle the cerebral cortex and contiguous white matter
4. (Zoology) zoology another name for mantle5
[C16: from Latin: cloak; related to Latin palla mantle]
pal•li•um(ˈpæl i əm)
n., pl. pal•li•a (ˈpæl i ə) pal•li•ums.
1. a piece of cloth wrapped about the body as an outer garment in ancient Greece and Rome; himation.
2. a woolen vestment worn by the pope and by archbishops, consisting of a narrow band resting on the shoulders, with a lappet in front and behind.
4. the mantle of a mollusk or bird.
[1555–65; < Latin; compare pall1]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pallium - the layer of unmyelinated neurons (the grey matter) forming the cortex of the cerebrum|
neural structure - a structure that is part of the nervous system
Golgi cell, Golgi's cell - a neuron in the cerebral cortex with short dendrites and with either a long axon or a short axon that ramifies in the grey matter
gray matter, gray substance, grey matter, grey substance, substantia grisea - greyish nervous tissue containing cell bodies as well as fibers; forms the cerebral cortex consisting of unmyelinated neurons
cerebrum - anterior portion of the brain consisting of two hemispheres; dominant part of the brain in humans
frontal cortex, frontal lobe - that part of the cerebral cortex in either hemisphere of the brain lying directly behind the forehead
parietal cortex, parietal lobe - that part of the cerebral cortex in either hemisphere of the brain lying below the crown of the head
occipital cortex, occipital lobe - that part of the cerebral cortex in either hemisphere of the brain lying in the back of the head
|2.||pallium - (zoology) a protective layer of epidermis in mollusks or brachiopods that secretes a substance forming the shell|
|3.||pallium - (Roman Catholic Church) vestment consisting of a band encircling the shoulders with two lappets hanging in front and back|
vestment - gown (especially ceremonial garments) worn by the clergy
|4.||pallium - cloak or mantle worn by men in ancient Rome|
cloak - a loose outer garment