palmate(redirected from palmated)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
top: compound and lobed leaves
bottom: feet of an albatross
pal·mate(păl′māt′, päl′-, pä′māt′) also pal·mat·ed (-mā′tĭd)
1. Having a shape similar to that of a hand with the fingers extended: palmate antlers; palmate coral.
2. Botany Having three or more veins, leaflets, or lobes radiating from one point; digitate: a palmate leaf.
3. Zoology Having webbing that connects the three front toes, as the feet of many waterbirds.
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
palmate(ˈpælmeɪt; -mɪt) or
1. (Zoology) shaped like an open hand: palmate antlers.
2. (Botany) botany having more than three lobes or segments that spread out from a common point: palmate leaves.
3. (Zoology) (of the feet of most water birds) having three toes connected by a web
[C18: from Latin palmatus, from palma palm; see palm2]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
pal•mate(ˈpæl meɪt, -mɪt, ˈpɑl-, ˈpɑ meɪt)
1. shaped like an open palm or like a hand with the fingers extended, as a leaf or an antler.
3. having four or more lobes or leaflets radiating from a single point.
[1750–60; < Latin]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
1. Having a shape similar to that of a hand with the fingers extended. Some kinds of coral and the antlers of moose and certain deer are palmate.
2. Botany Having three or more veins, leaflets, or lobes radiating from one point. Maples have palmate leaves.
3. Zoology Having webbed toes as the feet of many swimming and diving birds do.
The American Heritage® Student Science Dictionary, Second Edition. Copyright © 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||palmate - (of the feet of water birds) having three toes connected by a thin fold of skin|
webbed - (of the feet of some animals) having the digits connected by a thin fold of skin
|2.||palmate - of a leaf shape; having leaflets or lobes radiating from a common point|
compound - composed of more than one part; "compound leaves are composed of several lobes; "compound flower heads"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.