pan-(redirected from pano-)
Also found in: Medical.
pan-(word root) all
Examples of words with the root pan-: panacea
1. All: panorama.
2. also Pan- Involving all of or the union of a specified group: Pan-Hellenic.
3. General; whole: panleukopenia.
1. all or every: panchromatic.
2. including or relating to all parts or members: Pan-African; pantheistic.
[from Greek pan, neuter of pas all]
n., v. panned, pan•ning. n.
1. a broad, usu. shallow, metal container, used in various forms for frying, baking, washing, etc.
2. any similar receptacle or part, as the scales of a balance.
3. the amount a pan holds or can hold; panful.
4. a container in which gold or other valuable metals are separated from gravel or other substances by agitation with water.
5. a drifting piece of flat, thin ice, as formed on a shore or bay.
6. a natural depression in the ground, as one containing water, mud, or mineral salts.
7. (in old guns) the hollow part of the lock, holding the priming.
8. Informal. an unfavorable review or critique.
9. Slang. the face.v.t.
10. Informal. to criticize harshly, as in a review.
11. to wash (gravel, sand, etc.) in a pan to separate gold or other valuable metal.
12. to cook in a pan.v.i.
13. to wash gravel, sand, etc., in a pan in seeking gold or the like.
14. to yield gold or the like, as gravel washed in a pan.
15. pan out, Informal. to have an outcome, esp. a successful one.
[before 900; Middle English, Old English panne, c. Old Frisian, Old Saxon panna, Old High German pfanna]
1. the leaf of the betel.
2. a substance, esp. betel nut or a betel-nut mixture, used for chewing.
[1610–20; < Hindi pān; compare Pali, Prakrit paṇṇa, Skt parṇa leaf, betel leaf]
v. panned, pan•ning,
1. to swivel a television or motion-picture camera horizontally in order to keep a moving subject in view or record a panorama.
2. (of a camera) to be moved in such a manner.v.t.
3. to move (a camera) in such a manner.n.
4. the act of panning a camera.
5. the filmed shot resulting from this.
[1920–25; shortening of panorama]
an ancient Greek god of shepherds and hunters, usu. represented as a man with the legs, horns, and ears of a goat.
a combining form meaning “all”: pantheism; used esp. in terms implying the union of all branches of a group: Pan-American; Pan-Slavism.
[< Greek pan-, comb. form of pâs (neuter pân) all, every]
pan-[pæn] PREFIX → pan-
pan-Arabic → panárabe
pan-[pæn] pref → pan...
all; whole. pan-American. pan بادِئَة بِمَعنى: كُل، جَميع، شامِل все pan- pan- Gesamt-..., Pan-... pan- παν- (ως α΄ συνθ.) pan kõik-, üld-, pan- همه -laajuinen pan- פן- अखिल sveopći, sve pán- seluruh al-, allra pan- 全－ 전체- visos (salikteņos) pan-; vis- seluruh pan-pan-, all-pan تول pan- pan- (все)общий, пан- pan- vse- pan- pan- ทั้งหมด tüm ..., bütün ... (前綴) 全...，總...，泛... пан- کل، تمام toàn bộ （前缀）全…，总…，泛...