Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Acronyms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to pansy: Pansy shell
n. pl. pan·sies
1. Any of various plants of the genus Viola, especially V. tricolor or its hybrids, widely cultivated for their flowers with velvety petals of various colors.
2. A deep to strong violet.
3. Offensive Slang
a. Used as a disparaging term for a man or boy who is considered effeminate.
b. Used as a disparaging term for a gay man.
[Middle English pancy, from Old French pensee, thought, remembrance, pansy, from feminine past participle of penser, to think; see pensive.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
n, pl -sies
1. (Plants) any violaceous garden plant that is a variety of Viola tricolor, having flowers with rounded velvety petals, white, yellow, or purple in colour. See also wild pansy
2. slang offensive an effeminate or homosexual man or boy
a. a strong violet colour
b. (as adjective): a pansy carpet.
[C15: from Old French pensée thought, from penser to think, from Latin pensāre]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
n., pl. -sies.
1. a violet, Viola tricolor hortensis, cultivated in many varieties, having richly and variously colored flowers.
2. Slang: Disparaging and Offensive. (a contemptuous term used to refer to an effeminate or homosexual male.)
[1490–1500; < Middle French pensée pansy, literally, thought, n. use of feminine past participle of penser to think < Latin pēnsāre to weigh, consider. See pensive]
usage: Definition 3 is a slur and should be avoided. It is used with disparaging intent and is perceived as insulting.
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pansy - large-flowered garden plant derived chiefly from the wild pansy of Europe and having velvety petals of various colors|
viola - any of the numerous plants of the genus Viola
|2.||pansy - a timid man or boy considered childish or unassertive|
coward - a person who shows fear or timidity
|3.||pansy - offensive term for an openly homosexual man|
depreciation - a communication that belittles somebody or something
gay man - a homosexual man
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
eşcinsel oğlanhercaî menekşeibne
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
Collins English/French Electronic Resource. © HarperCollins Publishers 2005
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
Collins Italian Dictionary 1st Edition © HarperCollins Publishers 1995
1. – plural ˈpansies – noun a kind of small flower. amor-perfeito orvokki sejenis bunga kecil (꽃) 팬지 viooltje يو ډول كوچنى گل ดอกแพนซี 三色紫蘿蘭，三色堇 三色紫罗兰
2. (slang) a male homosexual. bicha homo 남성동성 연애자의 여성 역 nicht, mietje دبنفشې بوټى ผู้ชายรักร่วมเพศ 男同性戀 男同性恋
Kernerman English Multilingual Dictionary © 2006-2013 K Dictionaries Ltd.