Also found in: Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.


(Ecclesiastical Terms) a screen or railing in a church separating off an altar, chapel, etc
[C14: from Old French, noun use of past participle of parclore to close off; see per-, close1]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014



(in a church) a screen dividing one area from another, as a chapel from an aisle.
[1300–50; Middle English < Middle French, n. use of feminine of parclos, past participle of parclore to enclose fully. See per-, close]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Mentioned in ?
References in periodicals archive ?
(22) crocket (OF: croket, croquet), chapel (OF: chapele), gargoyle (OF: gargouille), presbytery (OF: presbiterie), springer (OF: espringuer), chancel (OF: chancel), pier (OF: piere 'stone '), pillar (OF: piler), respond (OF: respondre), vault (OF: voute), parclose (OF: parclos), trave (OF: trave 'beam'), severy (OF: civorie), trefoil (OF: trefeuil), buttress (OF: bouterez), pinnacle (OF: pinnacle)