Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
Related to pardoner: Pardoner's Tale
1. One that pardons: a pardoner of the sins of others.
2. A medieval ecclesiastic or layman authorized to raise money for religious works by granting papal indulgences to contributors.
1. (Roman Catholic Church) (before the Reformation) a person licensed to sell ecclesiastical indulgences
2. (Historical Terms) (before the Reformation) a person licensed to sell ecclesiastical indulgences
par•don•er(ˈpɑr dn ər)
1. a person who pardons.
2. (during the Middle Ages) an ecclesiastic authorized to sell indulgences.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||pardoner - a person who pardons or forgives or excuses a fault or offense|
|2.||pardoner - a medieval cleric who raised money for the church by selling papal indulgences|
absolver - someone who grants absolution