parse(redirected from parere)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Legal, Financial, Encyclopedia.
v. parsed, pars·ing, pars·es
a. To break (a sentence) down into its component parts of speech with an explanation of the form, function, and syntactical relationship of each part.
b. To describe (a word) by stating its part of speech, form, and syntactical relationships in a sentence.
c. To process (linguistic data such as speech or written language) in real time as it is being spoken or read, in order to determine its linguistic structure and meaning.
a. To examine closely or subject to detailed analysis, especially by breaking up into components: "What are we missing by parsing the behavior of chimpanzees into the conventional categories recognized largely from our own behavior?" (Stephen Jay Gould).
b. To make sense of; comprehend: I simply couldn't parse what you just said.
3. Computers To analyze or separate (input, for example) into more easily processed components.
To admit of being parsed: sentences that do not parse easily.
[Probably from Middle English pars, part of speech, from Latin pars (ōrātiōnis), part (of speech); see perə- in Indo-European roots.]
1. (Grammar) to assign constituent structure to (a sentence or the words in a sentence)
2. (Grammar) (intr) (of a word or linguistic element) to play a specified role in the structure of a sentence
3. (Computer Science) computing to analyse the source code of a computer program to make sure that it is structurally correct before it is compiled and turned into machine code
[C16: from Latin pars (orātionis) part (of speech)]
v. parsed, pars•ing. v.t.
1. to analyze (a sentence) in terms of grammatical constituents, identifying the parts of speech, syntactic relations, etc.
2. to describe (a word in a sentence) grammatically, identifying the part of speech, inflectional form, syntactic function, etc.v.i.
3. to admit of being parsed.
[1545–55; < Latin pars part, as in pars ōrātiōnis part of speech]
Past participle: parsed
To analyze a sentence by breaking it down into its constituent parts and explaining the function of each and their relationships.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||parse - analyze syntactically by assigning a constituent structure to (a sentence)|
grammar - the branch of linguistics that deals with syntax and morphology (and sometimes also deals with semantics)