Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Relating to or forming the wall of a body part, organ, or cavity.
2. Of or relating to either of the parietal bones.
3. Botany Borne on the inside of the ovary wall. Used of the ovules or placentas in flowering plants.
4. Dwelling within or having authority within the walls or buildings of a college.
1. A parietal part, such as a wall or bone.
2. parietals The rules governing the visiting privileges of members of the opposite sex in college or university dormitories.
[Middle English, from Late Latin parietālis, of a wall, from Latin pariēs, pariet-, wall.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Anatomy) anatomy biology of, relating to, or forming the walls or part of the walls of a bodily cavity or similar structure: the parietal bones of the skull.
2. (Biology) anatomy biology of, relating to, or forming the walls or part of the walls of a bodily cavity or similar structure: the parietal bones of the skull.
3. (Anatomy) of or relating to the side of the skull
4. (Botany) (of plant ovaries) having ovules attached to the walls
5. (Education) US living or having authority within a college
(Anatomy) a parietal bone
[C16: from Late Latin parietālis, from Latin pariēs wall]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
pa•ri•e•tal(pəˈraɪ ɪ tl)
1. pertaining to the wall of an organ or cavity.
2. pertaining to or situated near the parietal bones of the skull.
3. proceeding or arising from a wall, as ovules from an ovary in certain plants.
4. pertaining to or having authority over residence within the walls of a college.n.
5. any of several parts in the parietal region of the skull, esp. the parietal bone.
[1590–1600; < Late Latin parietālis of, belonging to walls = Latin pariet-, s. of pariēs wall + -ālis -al1]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Living within or being in authority in a particular college.
Dictionary of Unfamiliar Words by Diagram Group Copyright © 2008 by Diagram Visual Information Limited
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||parietal - of or relating to or associated with the parietal bones in the cranium; "parietal lobe"|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
parietal[pəˈraɪɪtl] ADJ → parietal
Collins Spanish Dictionary - Complete and Unabridged 8th Edition 2005 © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1971, 1988 © HarperCollins Publishers 1992, 1993, 1996, 1997, 2000, 2003, 2005
adj (Anat) → parietal; parietal bone → Scheitelbein nt
Collins German Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged 7th Edition 2005. © William Collins Sons & Co. Ltd. 1980 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1997, 1999, 2004, 2005, 2007
English-Spanish/Spanish-English Medical Dictionary Copyright © 2006 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc. All rights reserved.