Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. Relating to or forming the wall of a body part, organ, or cavity.
2. Of or relating to either of the parietal bones.
3. Botany Borne on the inside of the ovary wall. Used of the ovules or placentas in flowering plants.
4. Dwelling within or having authority within the walls or buildings of a college.
1. A parietal part, such as a wall or bone.
2. parietals The rules governing the visiting privileges of members of the opposite sex in college or university dormitories.
[Middle English, from Late Latin parietālis, of a wall, from Latin pariēs, pariet-, wall.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
(Education) informal US the regulations that govern living within a college
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014