parquet(redirected from parqueting)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Encyclopedia.
1. A floor made of parquetry.
2. The art or process of making parquetry.
a. The part of the main floor of a theater between the orchestra pit and the parquet circle.
b. The entire main floor of a theater.
tr.v. par·queted (-kăd′), par·quet·ing (-kā′ĭng), par·quets (-kāz′)
1. To furnish with a floor of parquetry.
2. To make (a floor, for example) of parquetry.
[French, parquetry, from Old French, diminutive of parc, enclosure; see park.]
1. (Forestry) a floor covering of pieces of hardwood fitted in a decorative pattern; parquetry
2. (Art Terms) a floor covering of pieces of hardwood fitted in a decorative pattern; parquetry
3. (Art Terms) Also called: parquet floor a floor so covered
4. (Theatre) US the stalls of a theatre
5. (Stock Exchange) the main part of the Paris Bourse, where officially listed securities are traded. Compare coulisse3
6. (Government, Politics & Diplomacy) (in France) the department of government responsible for the prosecution of crimes
(Art Terms) to cover (a floor) with parquet
[C19: from Old French: small enclosure, from parc enclosure; see park]
1. a floor composed of short strips or blocks of wood forming a pattern, sometimes with inlays of other woods or other materials.
2. the front part of the main floor of a theater, opera house, etc., between the musicians' area and the parterre or, esp. in the U.S., the entire main-floor space for spectators.v.t.
3. to construct (a floor) of parquetry.
Past participle: parqueted
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||parquet - a floor made of parquetry|
|2.||parquet - seating on the main floor between the orchestra and the parquet circle|
seating, seating area, seating room, seats - an area that includes places where several people can sit; "there is seating for 40 students in this classroom"
parquet[ˈpɑːkeɪ] n (also parquet floor) → parquet m inv
parquet(ˈpaːkei) , ((American) pa:rˈkei) noun
a type of floor-covering made of pieces of wood arranged in a design. flooring made of parquet; (also adjective) a parquet floor. parket أرضِيَّة خَشَبيَّه паркет chão de tacos parkety; parketový das Parkett; Parkett-... parket; parket- παρκέparqué parkett پارکت parketti parquet פָּרקֶט सजावटी लकड़ी का फर्श parket parkett(a) lapisan lantai parket parquet 寄せ木細工 (마루에 까는)조각나무 세공 parketas parkets parket parketparkettparkiet دتياتر لاندنى غولى، دتياتر دغولي كښتنۍ برخه، ددړو غولى، وړين غولى chão de tacos parchet паркет parkety; parketový parket parket parkett พื้นไม้ปาร์เก้ parke 鑲木地板 паркет فرش پر لگانے کي لکڑي sàn gỗ 镶木地板