denture(redirected from partial, components of denture)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia.
1. A partial or complete set of artificial teeth for either the upper or lower jaw. Also called dental plate.
2. often dentures A complete set of removable artificial teeth for both jaws.
[French, from Old French, from dent, tooth; see dentist.]
n (usually plural)
1. (Dentistry) Also called: dental plate or false teeth a partial or full set of artificial teeth
2. (Dentistry) rare a set of natural teeth
[C19: from French, from dent tooth + -ure]
den•ture(ˈdɛn tʃər, -tʃʊər)
1. an artificial replacement of one or more teeth.
2. Often dentures. a replacement of all the teeth of one or both jaws.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||denture - a dental appliance that artificially replaces missing teeth|
dental appliance - a device to repair teeth or replace missing teeth
false teeth - a removable denture
partial denture - a denture replacing one or more teeth in a dental arch
n. dentadura, prótesis; [artificial] dentadura postiza;
___ plates → ___ parcial, pop. plancha dental.