Also found in: Thesaurus, Wikipedia.
1. Dividing or serving to divide something into parts; marked by division.
2. Grammar Indicating a part as distinct from a whole, as some of the coffee in the sentence She drank some of the coffee.
1. A partitive word, such as many or less.
2. A partitive construction or case.
[Middle English, from Old French partitif, from Medieval Latin partītīvus, from Latin partītus, past participle of partīre, to divide; see partite.]
1. (Grammar) grammar indicating that a noun involved in a construction refers only to a part or fraction of what it otherwise refers to. The phrase some of the butter is a partitive construction; in some inflected languages it would be translated by the genitive case of the noun
2. serving to separate or divide into parts
(Grammar) grammar a partitive linguistic element or feature
[C16: from Medieval Latin partītīvus serving to divide, from Latin partīre to divide]
par•ti•tive(ˈpɑr tɪ tɪv)
1. serving to divide into parts.
2. (of a word, construction, or grammatical case) indicating a part or quantity of a whole.n.
3. a partitive word, case, or construction, as a slice of cake or the word some.
[1510–20; < Medieval Latin partītīvus divisive = Latin partīt(us), past participle of partīrī to divide (see party) + -īvus -ive]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||partitive - word (such a `some' or `less') that is used to indicate a part as distinct from a whole|
word - a unit of language that native speakers can identify; "words are the blocks from which sentences are made"; "he hardly said ten words all morning"
|Adj.||1.||partitive - (Romance languages) relating to or denoting a part of a whole or a quantity that is less than the whole; "a partitive construction"|
|2.||partitive - indicating or characterized by or serving to create partition or division into parts; "partitive tendencies in education"|
|3.||partitive - serving to separate or divide into parts; "partitive tendencies in education"; "the uniting influence was stronger than the separative"|
disjunctive - serving or tending to divide or separate