Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
1. About to bring forth young; being in labor.
2. Of or relating to giving birth.
3. About to produce or come forth with something, such as an idea or a discovery.
[Latin parturiēns, parturient-, present participle of parturīre, to be in labor, from partus, past participle of parere, to give birth; see perə- in Indo-European roots.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
1. (Gynaecology & Obstetrics) of or relating to childbirth
2. (Gynaecology & Obstetrics) giving birth
3. producing or about to produce a new idea, etc
[C16: via Latin parturīre, from parere to bring forth]
Collins English Dictionary – Complete and Unabridged, 12th Edition 2014 © HarperCollins Publishers 1991, 1994, 1998, 2000, 2003, 2006, 2007, 2009, 2011, 2014
par•tu•ri•ent(pɑrˈtʊər i ənt, -ˈtyʊər-)
1. bearing or about to bear young.
2. pertaining to parturition.
3. bringing forth or about to produce something, as an idea.
[1585–95; < Latin parturient-, s. of parturiēns, present participle of parturīre to be in labor, desiderative derivative of parere to give birth, bear; see -ent]
Random House Kernerman Webster's College Dictionary, © 2010 K Dictionaries Ltd. Copyright 2005, 1997, 1991 by Random House, Inc. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Adj.||1.||parturient - of or relating to or giving birth; "parturient pangs"; "the parturient uterus"|
|2.||parturient - giving birth; "a parturient heifer"|
nascent - being born or beginning; "the nascent chicks"; "a nascent insurgency"
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.
The American Heritage® Roget's Thesaurus. Copyright © 2013, 2014 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
a. parturienta, mujer que acaba de dar a luz o está en el acto de dar a luz.
English-Spanish Medical Dictionary © Farlex 2012