passbook(redirected from passbooks)
Also found in: Thesaurus, Financial, Encyclopedia.
1. See bankbook.
2. A book in which a merchant records credit sales.
3. A document formerly issued to a black person in South Africa and used to enforce certain legal and economic restrictions under the apartheid system. Also called reference book.
1. (Banking & Finance) a book for keeping a record of withdrawals from and payments into a building society
2. (Banking & Finance) another name for bankbook
3. (Commerce) a customer's book in which is recorded by a trader a list of credit sales to that customer
4. (Historical Terms) (formerly in South Africa) an official document serving to identify the bearer, his race, his residence, and his employment