partake(redirected from patakes)
Also found in: Thesaurus.
Related to patakes: partake
v. par·took (-to͝ok′), par·tak·en (-tā′kən), par·tak·ing, par·takes
1. To take or have a part or share; participate: partake in the celebration.
2. To take or be given part or portion: The guests partook of a delicious dinner.
3. To share some of the properties of something else: "Each tale partakes of its creator's poetic imagination" (Charles Scribner III).
Archaic To take or have a part in; share in.
[Back-formation from partaker, one who partakes, from Middle English part-taker (translation of Latin particeps, participant).]
vb (mainly intr) , -takes, -taking, -took or -taken
1. (foll by in) to have a share; participate: to partake in the excitement.
2. (Cookery) (foll by of) to take or receive a portion, esp of food or drink: each partook of the food offered to him.
3. (foll by of) to suggest or have some of the quality (of): music partaking of sadness.
4. (tr) archaic to share in
[C16: back formation from partaker, earlier part taker, based on Latin particeps participant; see part, take]
Usage: Partake of is sometimes wrongly used as if it were a synonym of eat or drink. Correctly, one can only partake of food or drink which is available for several people to share
v. -took, -tak•en, -tak•ing. v.i.
1. to take part in along with others (usu. fol. by in): to partake in a celebration.
2. to receive, take, or have a portion (usu. fol. by of): to partake of a meal.
3. to have the nature or character (usu. fol. by of): feelings partaking of both joy and regret.v.t.
4. to take or have a part in; share.
[1555–65; back formation from partaking, Middle English part taking, translation of Latin participātiō participation]
Past participle: partaken
Switch to new thesaurus
|Verb||1.||partake - have some of the qualities or attributes of something|
share - have in common; "Our children share a love of music"; "The two countries share a long border"
|2.||partake - have, give, or receive a share of; "We shared the cake"|
acquire, get - come into the possession of something concrete or abstract; "She got a lot of paintings from her uncle"; "They acquired a new pet"; "Get your results the next day"; "Get permission to take a few days off from work"
cut in - allow someone to have a share or profit
|3.||partake - consume; "She didn't touch her food all night"|
ingest, consume, have, take in, take - serve oneself to, or consume regularly; "Have another bowl of chicken soup!"; "I don't take sugar in my coffee"
receive - partake of the Holy Eucharist sacrament
partake in something participate in, share in, take part in, engage in, enter into Do you partake in dangerous sports?
partake of something
2. display, exhibit, evoke, hint at, be characterized by These groups generally partake of a common characteristic.
Usage: The phrase partake of is sometimes inappropriately used as if it were a synonym of eat or drink. In strict usage, you can only partake of food or drink which is available for several people to share.
1. To have a share, as in an act or result; have a hand in:
Idiom: take part.
2. To involve oneself in (an activity):
Idiom: take part.
taka òátt í
partake[pɑːrˈteɪk] [partook] (pt) [partaken] (pp) vi (= take part) → participer
partake invt fus [+ activity] → prendre part à
partake ofvt fus [+ food, drink] → prendre
He refused to partake of the modest meal she had prepared → Il refusa de prendre le modeste repas qu'elle avait préparé.part exchange n (British) → reprise f
to accept in part exchange [+ car, appliance] → reprendre
partakepret <partook>, ptp <partaken>
to partake of (food, drink) → zu sich (+dat) → nehmen; will you partake of a glass of sherry? → darf ich Ihnen ein Glas Sherry anbieten?; will or do you partake? (form, hum) → darf or kann ich Ihnen etwas anbieten?
(= share in) to partake of an experience → an einer Erfahrung (dat) → teilhaben, jds Erfahrung (acc) → teilen
to partake of a quality → eine Eigenschaft an sich (dat) → haben; to a certain extent he partakes of his father’s arrogance → er hat etwas von der Arroganz seines Vaters
partake(paːˈteik) – past tense partook (-ˈtuk) : past participle parˈtaken – verb
to take part. They all partook in the final decision. deel wees, deelneem يُشارِك في участвам participar podílet se teilhaben deltage; tage del i συμμετέχωtomar parte, participar osalema شرکت کردن osallistua prendre part à לָקַחַת חֶלֶק בְּ- भाग लेना imati udjela, sudjelovati részt vesz, részesül ikut ambil bagian taka þátt í (e-u) prendere parte, partecipare 加わる 참가하다 dalyvauti piedalīties menyertai deel hebben aan ta del i, ha del i brać udział ګډون كول participar a lua parte la принимать участие podieľať sa sodelovati učestvovati delta มีส่วนร่วม katılmak 參與 брати участь حصہ لينا، شريک ہونا tham dự 参与