Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to patching: patching up
a. A small piece of material affixed to another, larger piece to conceal, reinforce, or repair a worn area, hole, or tear.
b. A small piece of cloth used for patchwork.
2. A small cloth badge affixed to a garment as a decoration or an insignia, as of a military unit.
a. A dressing or covering applied to protect a wound or sore.
b. A pad or shield of cloth worn over an eye socket or an injured eye.
c. A transdermal patch.
4. See beauty spot.
a. A small piece, part, or section, especially that which differs from or contrasts with the whole: a patch of thin ice; patches of sunlight.
b. A small plot or piece of land, especially one that produces or is used for growing specific vegetation: a briar patch; a bean patch.
6. An indefinite period of time; a spell: weathered a difficult patch after losing his job.
7. A temporary, removable electronic connection, as one between two components in a communications system.
8. Computers A piece of code added to software in order to fix a bug, especially as a temporary correction between two releases.
v. patched, patch·ing, patch·es
1. To put a patch or patches on: patched my pants.
2. To make by sewing scraps of material together: patch a quilt.
3. To mend, repair, or put together, especially hastily, clumsily, or poorly: They patched together the broken statues with glue and plaster. The delegates will be forced to patch up their differences.
4. To connect temporarily (electronic components), as with a patch cord.
5. Computers To correct a bug in (an item of software), especially as a temporary correction between releases.
Electronics To be connected temporarily.
[Middle English pacche, perhaps alteration of pece, pecche, piece; see piece.]
American Heritage® Dictionary of the English Language, Fifth Edition. Copyright © 2016 by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. Published by Houghton Mifflin Harcourt Publishing Company. All rights reserved.
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||patching - the act of mending a hole in a garment by sewing a patch over it|
Based on WordNet 3.0, Farlex clipart collection. © 2003-2012 Princeton University, Farlex Inc.