Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to patchouli: Patchouli oil
n. pl. patch·ou·lis
1. A small southeast Asian shrub (Pogostemon cablin) in the mint family, having leaves that yield a fragrant oil used in the manufacture of perfumes.
2. A perfume made from the oil of this plant.
[French, probably ultimately from a Dravidian word compounded from elements akin to Tamil paccai, green, or paccai, fragrant, fragrant plant, and ilai, leaf.]
patchouli(ˈpætʃʊlɪ; pəˈtʃuːlɪ) ,
1. (Plants) any of several Asiatic trees of the genus Pogostemon, the leaves of which yield a heavy fragrant oil: family Lamiaceae (labiates)
2. (Elements & Compounds) the perfume made from this oil
[C19: from Tamil paccilai, from paccu green + ilai leaf]
or patch•ou•ly(ˈpætʃ ʊ li, pəˈtʃu li)
n., pl. -lis or -lies.
1. a tropical Asian plant, Pogostemoncablin, of the mint family, yielding a fragrant oil.
2. a perfume made from this oil.
[1835–45; < Tamil paccuḷi]
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||patchouli - small East Indian shrubby mint; fragrant oil from its leaves is used in perfumes|
|2.||patchouli - a heavy perfume made from the patchouli plant|