Also found in: Thesaurus, Medical, Idioms, Encyclopedia, Wikipedia.
Related to peacock: Pavo cristatus
a. A male peafowl, distinguished by its crested head, brilliant blue or green plumage, and long modified back feathers that are marked with iridescent eyelike spots and that can be spread in a fanlike form.
b. A peafowl, either male or female.
2. A vain or ostentatious person.
intr.v. pea·cocked, pea·cock·ing, pea·cocks
To strut about like a peacock; exhibit oneself vainly.
[Middle English pocock, pecok : po, peacock (from Old English pawa, pēa, peafowl, from Latin pāvō, peacock) + Middle English cok; see cock1.]
pea′cock′ish, pea′cock′y adj.
n, pl -cocks or -cock
1. (Animals) a male peafowl, having a crested head and a very large fanlike tail marked with blue and green eyelike spots.
2. (Animals) another name for peafowl
3. a vain strutting person
4. to display (oneself) proudly
5. obsolete slang Austral to acquire (the best pieces of land) in such a way that the surrounding land is useless to others
[C14 pecok, pe- from Old English pāwa (from Latin pāvō peacock) + cock1]
ˈpeaˌhen fem n
(Biography) Thomas Love. 1785–1866, English novelist and poet, noted for his satirical romances, including Headlong Hall (1816) and Nightmare Abbey (1818)
n., pl. -cocks, (esp. collectively) -cock,
1. the male of the peafowl, distinguished by its long, erectile, iridescent tail feathers that are marked with eyelike spots and can be spread in a fan.
2. any peafowl.
3. a vain, self-conscious person.v.i.
4. to display oneself vainly; strut like a peacock.
[1250–1300; Middle English pecok=pe- (Old English pēa peafowl < Latin pāvō) + cok cock1]
pea′cock`ish, pea′cock′y, adj.
Thomas Love, 1785–1866, English poet and novelist.
Past participle: peacocked
Switch to new thesaurus
|Noun||1.||peacock - European butterfly having reddish-brown wings each marked with a purple eyespot|
brush-footed butterfly, four-footed butterfly, nymphalid, nymphalid butterfly - medium to large butterflies found worldwide typically having brightly colored wings and much-reduced nonfunctional forelegs carried folded on the breast
|2.||peacock - male peafowl; having a crested head and very large fanlike tail marked with iridescent eyes or spots|
chim côngcon công
peacock[ˈpiːˌkɒk] n → pavone m
peacock(ˈpiːkok) – feminine ˈpeahen (-hen) – noun
a kind of large bird, the male of which is noted for its magnificent tail-feathers. pou طاؤوس паун pavão páv, -ice der Pfau påfugl παγόνιpavo real paabulind طاووس riikinkukko paon, paonneטווס मोर paun páva(kakas) merak páfugl pavone くじゃく 공작 povas pāvs burung merak jantan pauwpåfuglpaw تاوس pavão păun павлин páv, -ica pav paun påfågel นกยูง tavus kuşu 孔雀 павич مور، طاؤس con công trống 孔雀